At Holme Grange we value sport as it complements intellectual and social development, whilst encouraging confidence and self discipline. We encourage healthy competition between players and teams both internally during house matches and through inter-school matches. Above all sport should be enjoyable.
Sports in our prep school curriculum include; basketball, dodgeball, table tennis, gymnastics, athletics and swimming.
“It’s excellent… Boys’ and girls’ sport are equally good.”
Boys Sports Curriculum includes; Football, rugby, cricket. Girls include Hockey, netball, rounders.
Extra Curricular and other opportunities include; Judo, gymnastics, cheerleading, adventurous activities, tennis, dance, boys hockey, girls football.
The main aim of the Sport Department is to;
- Promote a healthy and active lifestyle
- To raise heart rate every lesson
- To develop physical competence
- To develop physical confidence
- To develop physical skilfulness
- To develop physical development and knowledge of the body in action
- To prepare children for Secondary Education
- To encourage lifelong physical activity
- To understand others strengths and weaknesses
- To prepare for inter school matches
- To develop knowledge, skills and understanding through a variety of activities
- To improve their sporting ability and to give them a taste of different sports.
- TO ENCOURAGE CHILDREN TO PLAY AT LEAST ONE CLUB SPORT TO DEVELOP THEIR SKILLS
Overall PE curriculum needs to compliment what activities/lifestyles the pupils have outside of school.
Physical Education provides opportunities for pupils to be creative, competitive and to face up to different challenges as individuals and in groups and teams. It promotes positive attitudes toward active and healthy lifestyle. (National Curriculum). Exercise activates your brain and gives you energy for everything else, the energy to be enthusiastic about your work. So all your school work will gain from PE. (Darcey Bussell, Dancer, The Royal Ballet)
A large fixture list is arranged throughout the year with all boys and girls in the Prep school playing regularly.
Our extensive sporting facilities include a sports hall, three large playing fields, two all weather turf pitches, swimming pool, outdoor and indoor cricket nets, a cross-country course, a grass and artificial cricket square, and a bespoke team building and leadership area.
All children receive specialist teaching and coaching from full time games staff, other academic staff also offer their expertise and experience in a wealth of sports, whilst external expert coaches provide further tuition in sports such as judo, cheerleading and tennis. Many pupils have gained County recognition and have had success competing at local and national levels.