History of the School
Holme Grange was founded in 1945 when 40 boys were transferred from Eaton House School, London and became fully co-educational in 1975 when the last boarders left. A year earlier the Pre-Prep was opened allowing children to be educated from three years old through to thirteen. In September 2014 it was decided by popular demand to educate up to 16 years old.
The School is a charitable trust administered by a Board of Governors, many of whom are either past or present parents and have a wide variety of interests. The Head teacher is a member of the Incorporated Association of Preparatory Schools (IAPS).
Holme Grange, a Grade II Listed Building built in 1883 by Norman Shaw, occupies a large country mansion standing in a sheltered position, on the Surrey/Hampshire border of Berkshire, one mile south of Wokingham.
The main building has been modernised for School use comprising seven Pre-Prep classrooms, School library, an original and impressive oak panelled hall, kitchens, dining rooms and administrative areas. In 1991 the Scott Wing opened with rooms used for Information Communication Technology, Science, changing-rooms and a classroom. A new Science Laboratory was opened in September 1994 in the Scott Wing.
Outside is the John Graves Wing, within this two storey building there are 7 classrooms, changing and toilet facilities. The building is named after John Graves; the School’s second Head teacher and was officially opened on 11 July 1998 by the Rt. Hon. Andrew MacKay, MP for Bracknell. On the opposite side is a two classroom block with the newly refurbished Reception classrooms and the Humanities teaching base. The Sports Hall, at the end, completes the ‘quad’ effect.
In September 2001 an extension to the John Graves Wing was opened: an art/design centre on the ground floor with Y7&8 housed above with a Modern language room and an English room.
In the extensive grounds are three playing fields, a floodlit tennis court, stream, woods, Forest School area, Willow Village, lake, heated swimming pool and Adventure playground. A new multi-purpose area comprising three tennis courts was opened in September 1995.
During the early part of 1996, with completion in August, the School Bungalow was transformed into Little Grange Nursery School accommodating inside and outside play facilities and an extensive extension was built in summer 2012.
To date there have been only five Head teachers in its history: Mr J Gordon Walker who founded Holme Grange and was responsible for the School’s move from London. At that time the School’s emblem was the Maltese Cross.
In 1951 Mr John Graves became Head teacher for the next twenty years. Mr David Langton succeeded Mr Graves and in his time he phased out the last boarders introducing a Pre-Prep and girls as well as improving the School facilities. On his retirement in 1992 his place was taken by Mr Nick Brodrick.
Mrs Claire Robinson accepted leadership of the school in January 2009.
There has been an on-going programme of improvements to the School through the School’s Development Plan, updated annually.
A School Inspection, through ISI, took place in January 2015. We received an Outstanding Report and achieved “EXCELLENT” across the board.
The whole report can be seen on the ISI website (click here)
In the summer of 2009 a new Reception Classroom area was created with an additional facility to provide an outdoor classroom, which is an essential element of the Early Years Foundation Curriculum.
Performing Arts has been added to the timetabled curriculum and is an area the school is actively developing in order to enrich the provision and support the development of pupils confidence. This is an ongoing project.
A Forest School site was established in 2010 where the younger children develop essential skills within the outdoor environment. This was further extended in 2012 when the TLC (Teamwork, Leadership and Communication) Hub was developed and opened by Bear Grylls. A second Forest Schools site was opened in 2013.