“Geography is the study of Earth’s landscapes, peoples, places and environments. It is, quite simply, about the world in which we live.”Royal Geography Society
This definition is at the heart of the work of the Geography Department. We encourage pupils to appreciate their surroundings and the variety of human and physical conditions on the Earth’s surface. Our aim is to foster in pupils a sense of personal enquiry about the world around them and to encourage them to develop an informed knowledge of the local, national and world environment.
As children progress through the school they study both physical and human geography. At each level new skills are woven into the lessons. The children learn how to draw and interpret maps and diagrams; develop their research skills; investigate and analyse current issues in the world; write clear, logical explanations using the correct geographical vocabulary; and present their ideas to an audience. The syllabus includes topics such as Globalisation, Development and Urban Regeneration but many of the traditional themes, such as Rivers, Coasts and Plate Tectonics continue to inspire.
The subject offers great opportunities for pupils to take part in field work, locally and nationally.
The department aims to encourage all children to:
- Explore the relationship between the Earth and its peoples, through the study of Place, Space and Environment.
- Seek to develop a sense of Place.
- Describe the location of Places.
- Study the processes that create or alter Places.
- Develop an awareness of Space and Spatial Patterns.
- Study the Environment, its resources and use or misuse.
- Explore the relationships between people, physical features, human activities and environmental resources in the world.
- Ask the question: WHERE? WHAT? WHY? HOW? and HOW MIGHT?
It is these questions that enable children to conduct Geographical enquiries in a variety of ways, teaching the skills of analysis, synthesis, data collection, representation and interpretation that are vital in understanding the modern world.