Design & Technology is a subject of increasing relevance in this era of emphasis on design and on technological advances. Understanding the basic principles of good design, the ways in which people interact with it, and the inter-relationship between function and form is an increasingly marketable skill; one which requires not only creativity and practicality, but also academic and intellectual capability.
The study of Technology allows pupils to engage with rapidly changing technologies and provides opportunities to consider the environment in which they live. Holme Grange teaches the skills necessary for success in a broad-based way. From Y9, pupils may choose to continue to GCSE in Product Design. Food Technology is taught and will be enhanced by the completion of a new Food Technology suite in the recent building development in the School.
The Department’s objectives are:
- To gain an understanding and to develop skills in the design and making of products
- To develop awareness of the principles of good design within modern society
- To foster the ability to solve problems, to analyse and to evaluate in order to produce an effective solution
- To provide a solid foundation of skills to facilitate a smooth transition to the study of Product Design
The subject is taught by highly qualified specialist teachers in well resourced accommodation. The Department is proud to showcase the projects and designs of its pupils in the annual Art and Design Technology Exhibition at the end of the year.
Design and Technology is about confidence, competence and capability. It is an exciting practical subject that allows pupils to make sense of appliances and processes in their environment.
Children have an innate curiosity about why and how things work. Design and Technology allows them to develop their creative skills through planning, designing and making. It is about thinking and doing and leads to minds and hands working together.
Our pupils gain great satisfaction from using physical resources to create products and it is hoped that they will experience a sense of achievement having worked through the design process that leads to a finished article.
Through the teaching of Design and Technology we aim to:
- Promote pupils’ knowledge and understanding of materials, components, controls and structures.
- Utilise focused practical tasks in order to develop skills, techniques and knowledge, particularly those related to tools and materials.
- Give pupils the opportunity to investigate, disassemble and evaluate a range of sample products which are found in everyday life.
- Help pupils to formulate their original ideas and plans.Enable the children to experience a sense of achievement having worked through the design process that leads to a finished article.
- Instil a positive health and safety attitude.Promote pleasure and enjoyment from their learning.